Sony’s long-awaited FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS lens has been unveiled and looks like it will be a solid option for sports shooters, weighing in at 6 lbs. and touted for its hand-holdability with the Sony A9 and A7 series.
According to Sony, the “lens features two newly developed high-speed XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors that drive the lens’s focus group, achieving up to a 5x improvement in moving-subject tracking performance. These motors are supported by specially developed motion algorithms to minimize lag and instability, and control noise levels, resulting in exceptionally quick, accurate and quiet autofocus performance.”
Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS Lens Key Features
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Extremely Lightweight: 6.4 lb / 2.9 kg
- Rear-Weighted Design for Better Balance
- Dual XD Motors for Faster Focus/Tracking
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- 3 Fluorite Elements, 1 ED Element
- 40.5mm Drop-in Filter Slot
- Nano AR Coating
- 11-Blade Diaphragm
- Power Focus & OSS
- Rotating Tripod Collar
The new Sony FE 400mm f/2.8 GM OSS will ship in September for $11,998. Pre-orders start on June 29. Check it out here at B&H Photo.