The Zoom HQ4 Handy Video Recorder is an audio-focused video camera featuring a built-in 120° X/Y mic with up to 24-bit/96k audio capture to go alongside its 1080/30p video.
The Q4 features a removable LCD screen and uses a GoPro-style action mount in addition to a traditional tripod mount.
Zoom Q4 Handy Video Recorder Key Features
- Records directly to SDXC cards up to 128GB, in a variety of HD, WVGA, AAC and WAV file formats, up to 1080p/30fps video and 24-bit/96k audio
- Detachable full-color LCD, built-in speaker for instant monitoring, stereo mic/line-level input and line-level/headphone output with dedicated volume control
- Built-in 120° X/Y microphone and three-position Mic Gain switch with Auto-Gain control and Peak LED to help prevent signal overload
- Compatible with three-prong action mounts
- USB port enables live streaming to DAWs, iMovie, Final Cut Pro or included HandyShare software
The Zoom HQ4 retails for $299.99 and is available here at B&H Photo.
It is ugly
It is useless
“It is ugly, it is useless” If you can not articulate don’t both.
I would like to read a constructive comment from someone who has actually used the device/camera. From the promo it seems pretty good as a small (almost slip in the pocket) video camera but how is the quality video and the microphones.
It is subjectively ugly. It is definitely useless. Nothing impressive about an ordinary mic bolted permanently onto a fixed lens cam. Zoom hasn’t built their following on having 96 bit audio (yawn). Shooters were attracted to it for having two or more audio inputs. Now… if they had put two audio inputs on this they might have generated some heat. Maybe next time.