The Nikon D4s was only teased a bit at CES 2014. At the time, details were scant. According to Nikon Rumors, it looks like the camera may be officially announced with a full reveal on the specs and pricing next week on February 25.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m06pGSEvE_A&2=640&h=360]
After CES 2014, we started to see some specs and new features that we think will be on the D4s.
Nikon D4s Rumored Features and Improvements
- New focus mode: now can use 3D-Tracking in 9 or 21 points group
- Native ISO: 100-25,600
- Improved time-lapse movie recording: can change interval shutter in 1/6 stop (adjustable)
- White balance can be fine tuned by 0.25-0.50 Kelvin
- You can adjust the color tone of the camera LCD screen
- Same resolution as the D4 (16MP)
- HD movie at 60 fps/1080p
- Small change in the body design
- Same price as the D4 ($5,996.95 in the US)
I’m a D3s and D700 shooter. But I think with the micro advancements this body may have over the D4 … and the recent BIG announcements from other manufacturers like the Panasonic GH4 and the forth coming Pentax medium format in SLR body … this announcement may go unnoticed. Even though it caters to a small segment of the market, a flag ship body would typically get a fair amount of attention.
So – what’s the point?
Nikon, its time you get with the program…this camera wont sell any better than the original D4.
Suggestion – bring out a quality rangefinder (20/24MP) with changeable Nikon lens and you’ll be the industry leader again…will it happen – No, probably not.