Both scanners deliver optical resolution up to 4800 x 6400 dpi. The scanners work with a range of positive and negative film formats from 35mm slides and film strips to medium format 6 x 20cm and 4″ x 5″.
The scanners use a new LED light source that uses 23% less power and delivers on faster scans with no warm-up time thanks to the LED tech. Additionally, both scanners feature Digital ICE technology to automatically remove dust, scratches and other defects from film and slides.
The Perfection V850 Pro is the higher-end model and features High Pass Optics with new anti-reflection optical coatings and a high-reflection mirror for better image quality and overall performance. Additionally, the V850 ships with two sets of film holders, which allows you to prep the next while while one batch is in the process of scanning.
As highlighted in Epson’s press release, additional V800 and V850 features include the following:
- High Optical Density (4.0 DMax): Smooth gradations and fine shadow detail offer remarkable tonal range and highly accurate tone reproduction.
- Exclusive Dual Lens System®: Optimize each scan with this system, which automatically selects from two lenses for the desired scan resolution. The High Resolution Mode is used to achieve 4800 dpi (reflective 8.5” x 11”, transparency 8” x10”) and Super Resolution Lens Mode is used for 6400 dpi (film scanning).
- Advanced Film Scanning: Quickly scan slide-packs and negative strips into printable contact sheets with the 8” x10” transparency adapter.
- Robust Software Bundle:
- Epson Scan with Easy Photo Fix® restores faded color photos back to their original brilliance.
- LaserSoft Imaging® SilverFast® SE Version 8 (V800 Photo) and SE Plus Version 8 (V850 Pro) controls highlights and shadows, gradations, selective and global color sharpening, and de-screening.
- X-rite i1® Profiler (V850 Pro only) creates custom profiles with included transparent and reflective IT8 targets.
- Epson Copy Utility copies documents and photos with ease.
- Fluid Mount Accessory: Optional add-on accessory ($59 MSRP) to hide scratches and reduce grain from black-and-white negatives.
The Epson Perfection V800 Photo retails for $739 and should be available in November 2014. Check it out here at B&H Photo.
The Epson Perfection V850 Pro retails for $949 and should also be available in November 2014. Check it out here at B&H Photo.