Panasonic has finally announced the long-awaited V-Log gamma curve update for the Lumix GH4.
We previously saw this feature in action back at NAB 2015 and it is now available as a firmware upgrade for GH4 users for $99. The V-Log L gamma curve provides 12 stops of dynamic range.
In order to update your GH4 to use the V-Log setting, you must:
- Purchase the upgrade software key DMW-SFU1
- Update the GH4 firmware to version 2.3
- Export the serial number of the GH4 to the SD memory card as SERIAL.LST file
- Upload the SERIAL.LST file together with the purchased upgrade software key to the activation website to get an activation code as ACTIVE.LST file
- Write the ACTIVE.LST file on the SD card to import it to the GH4
- Confirm that V-Log is available as a Photo Style on the GH4
More details here on Panasonic’s website.
Also announced is a new version of the GH4 – the GH4R.
It ships with V-Log already enabled and allows unlimited 4K recording time (compared to the 29:59 minute limit on the GH4). Notably, this feature is not available on the standard GH4 as part of the new firmware upgrade.
The Panasonic Lumix GH4R will be available on September 7 for £1199. No word yet of US pricing.