Epson has unveiled a new 13-inch printer into its SureColor Photo line. The SureColor P400 comes in at the bottom of its line as a photo printer aimed at photography enthusiasts.
It appears to serve as a direct replacement for the highly-touted Epson R2000 and rounds out the line alongside the SureColor P600 13″ printer and SureColor P800 17″ printer.
The SureColor P400 uses new ink chemistry in its UltraChrome HG2 ink and reduced the cartridge size to 14mL each (compared to 17mL on the R2000). However, you do get a lower price point of $17.99 for the new ink cartridges compared to $21.49 for the R2000’s cartridges.
Like the R2000 and P600, the P400 continues the use of Photo Black and Matte Black inks for use on different types of paper. Photo Black ink is used for glossy papers like Ultra Premium Luster, while Matte Black ink is used for fine art and other matte papers like Hot Press Bright.
The P400 also features improved roll media support and allows you to print up to 129″ length prints (just like the P600). This is up from the 44″ max length prints on the R2000.
Additional key features in the Epson SureColor P400 include:
- Industry-leading pigment ink technology – UltraChrome HG2 pigment ink for colorful prints that are highly water, smudge and fade resistant
- Vibrant color – Red and Orange inks ensure true, deep reds and richer skin tones
- Auto-selecting Black inks – Optimal black density on matte, fine art or glossy papers from either Matte or Photo Black ink, delivered via dedicated channels
- Individual ink cartridges – Change cartridges less often with eight 14 mL individual ink cartridges that offer a more affordable cost per set
- Advanced image processing – Smoother color transitions and outstanding highlight and shadow detail with AccuPhoto HG imaging technology
- Industry-proven eight-channel print head technology – MicroPiezo AMC one-inch-wide print head with a 1.5 pl minimum droplet size and ink-repelling coating for more accurate dot placement and reduced maintenance
- Flexible media handling – Prints cut-sheet and roll paper in sizes up to 13-inches wide including borderless; supports photographic and fine art paper, canvas, 1.3 mm thick board, and inkjet-printable CD/DVDs
- Professional connectivity – Hi-Speed USB 2.0, wireless 802.11n and 100 Mbit Ethernet support
The Epson SureColor P400 will be demoed at PhotoPlus later this month and should be available soon for $599. B&H Photo carries the Epson SureColor series of printers.