After Facebook’s failed attempt to acquire Snapchat for $3 billion, the company has advanced another acquired property to become more like the rapidly growing ghost. In its latest update, Instagram introduces “Stories” to the app, which is a new feature that is essentially pulled right out of Snapchat. You can also edit your photos and videos with effects, scribbles and drawings – just like Snapchat. [Read more…]
Vimeo finally added a monetization mechanism for user videos. Vimeo’s new Tip Jar lets viewers donate funds on Vimeo Plus and Pro users’ videos. The account holder keeps 85% of the donated tips, with the remaining 15% going to Vimeo.
The Tip Jar is already live and Plus and Pro members can activate the feature in their account now. The Tip Jar is rolling out ahead of an upcoming pay-to-view service for Pro subscribers in 2013. Both features could be quite a boon for indie filmmakers.
Check out this iPhone 5 ad parody from Adam Sacks. In it, a rebranded Canon DSLR takes the place of the upcoming iPhone 5, which will apparently only be used for taking photos of food and sharing those on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Siri will even recognize the food your snapping photos of and suggest witty captions to go along with your Facebook and Twitter posts.