The Vello FreeWave Plus II is a wireless shutter release that can trigger the shutter from up to 320′ (~97m) away. The FreeWave Plus works with most cameras that have a remote port, including Canon mirrorless and DSLRs, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji, and Panasonic, among others. I’m using the Canon version, which ships with both a Canon 3-pin cable, as well as a 2.5mm sub-mini cable. [Read more…]
Canon USA got an early Christmas present today in the form of a class-action lawsuit (Finnigan et al v. Canon USA, Inc.) over the recent ransomware attack and data breach, which (according to Canon) affected current and former employees. Canon disclosed some details about the incident back in November: [Read more…]
Alongside the new Canon Rebel T8i, we also received news that the Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera will be out later this year. Canon says the R5 will capture 8K video and will 20fps with a silent shutter and 12fps with the mechanical shutter. It will also feature in-body image stabilization – a first for the Canon EOS line.
In addition to the R5, Canon also announced the development of seven new RF lenses and two RF extenders due out in 2020, including the new RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens.
If you’re going to be at WPPI later this month, you can catch the EOS R5 on display at the Canon booth.
I love what Canon is doing with the EOS R product line and I’m looking forward to seeing the R5 and the lens line built out.
Full details in the press release below. [Read more…]
Canon has announced its new Rebel T8i entry-level DSLR with a more advanced AF system featuring 45-point all cross-type sensors. The camera also captures 4K 24p video and records vertical video to support the growing mobile trend.
Canon Rebel T8i Key Features
- 24.1MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- UHD 4K24p Video
- Vertical Video Support
- 45-Point All Cross-Type AF
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- ISO 100-25600
- 220,000 Pixel New AE Sensor and EOS iTR AF (Face Detection)
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connectivity
The Canon Rebel T8i will run $749 for the body only and $899 as a kit with the EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. It is available for pre-order here at B&H Photo.
More details in the complete release from Canon below. [Read more…]
Canon has announced that the development of the 1D X Mark III is underway. It will feature an all-new CMOS sensor and “will be blisteringly fast.”
Canon 1D X Mark III Key Features
- Updated CMOS Sensor and DIGIC Processors
- 16 fps Shooting with Viewfinder
- 20 fps Shooting During Live View
- 4K 10-Bit 4:2:2 Internal Video Recording
- Canon Log and Raw Video Support
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF, 525 Selectable Areas
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS
- 10-Bit HEIF Stills Support
- Dual CFexpress Memory Card Slots
Back in January at CES 2019, Canon showed off several concept cameras – one of which turned into the Canon IVY Rec outdoor camera built around a carabiner design and quasi-launched via a limited pre-order Indigogo campaign. The Canon IVY Rec is now set to ship on October 20 for $129.
It offers a very simple design with limited controls, including no display or traditional viewfinder. It features a 13MP CMOS sensor and 1080/60p video capture. Wireless connectivity through the free Canon Mini Cam app gives you camera control and image transfer functionality.
B&H has the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens for $199.99 (reg. $299.99). This is a lightweight and affordable wide lens that gives you a 16-28.8mm equivalent field of view for a full-frame camera. Check it out here at B&H Photo.
Canon has announced the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM lens for the Canon EOS R line of full frame, mirrorless cameras. This is the sixth lens in the RF product line. It offers a 10x zoom range and is equipped with Nano USM for the best of both worlds in still and video autofocus.
Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM Key Features
- Nano USM AF System
- Optical Image Stabilizer and Dynamic IS
- Customizable Control Ring
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.64 feet/0.50 meters at wide angle and 2.56 feet/0.78 meters at telephoto
- Maximum magnification of 0.26x at telephoto
- Approximate weight of 750 grams/26.4 ounces
- Customizable control ring that allows photographers to adjust exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture or ISO
- 21 lens elements in 15 groups including one Aspheric and Two UD Lens
- 12-pin communication system
The Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM lens will be available in September for $899 and is available for pre-order now. Check it out here at B&H Photo.
Canon will also offer a new EOS RP kit that includes the RF 24-240mm lens for $2199. Check it out here at B&H Photo.